Panellets (Empiñonados) or Spanish Sweet Potato-Marzipan Cookies
3 cups ground almonds
3/4 cup raw honey
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 190g)
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon rose water (optional)
ground pistachios (or whole pine nuts)
1. Preheat oven to 190C (375F).
2. Peel and cut into large chunks the sweet potatoes. Cook in plenty of water until tender.
3. Once tender, drain and mash with a fork or spoon until a puree is formed.
4. Add the raw honey and rose water and mix well.
5. Add the ground almonds, and with your hands mix it all well until you have a paste, similar to marzipan. (Actually it is marzipan without the sweet potato.)
6. Allow to cool.
7. Then with your hands, create 1-inch balls out of the paste.
8. Beat the eggs in a soup bowl or small dish.
9. Dip each ball in the beaten eggs and then through either ground pistachios, whole pine nuts, desiccated coconut, or cacao powder or a mixture of coconut and cacao powder. (If using pine nuts, it’s nice to add egg yolk-brushed onto the balls before baking-for a glossy finish.)
10. Bake the panellets for 10-12 minutes, turning around once half way through.