1 medium eggplant
1 1/2 lbs lamb shoulder
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 pinch dried thyme
salt and pepper
1 cup consomme
1 cup rice
1 can tomato (2-1/2 cups)
1. Peel and cube the eggplant, soak in salted water for 15 minutes, rinse and drain well.
2. Cut lamb into 1-inch squares and saute in butter until brown on all sides.
3. Place in a casserole.
4. Fry onion in the skillet until golden brown.
5. Add onion and eggplant, seasonings and consomme to the casserole.
6. Brown raw rice in a dry skillet and blend with canned tomatoes and their juice.
7. Pour over the contents of the casserole.
8. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until lamb is tender, about 90 minutes.